Friday, November 30, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A. Week 9

I posted this on Meaghan's blog because I am familiar with Newport and thought it was interesting that she noticed these neighborhoods from a different perspective being on the water. 

"Hey Meaghan,

I love your point about the "Utopian Ideal" because when I see Newport I think of the exact same thing. Well, I didn't prior to taking this class, but now I can't help to notice that Newport was/is a site of leisure for all of the workers of those companies when it was being developed. I feel like it directly represents Pastoral Capitalism where the city is a tool for reproducing labor. The slide on Pastoral Capitalism asks "Where do you put all the workers you're exploiting? How do you keep them alive and reproducing?"--suburbs--communities.

My biggest question is why do you think there are pockets of low income housing in certain areas. I notice the area in Costa Mesa that is low income housing and its like it's there because its right next to the freeway, and the higher income people don't want the noise. In fact the richer people are by the Santa Ana river and big parks where you could see it be very tranquil. The low income area there is stuck between the Ocean, the River and a business district in Irvine. So it seems like they're purposely stuck there because the good views and pretty neighborhoods are always the higher income housing. Also, the only way out of that neighborhood is the freeway and one other street that crosses the river. This seems like an example of the Carceral Archipelago where urban design is used to restrict certain people from certain areas.

Either way, go Bruins, and good luck with your Rowing."

No comments:

Post a Comment