Sunday, November 25, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A. Week 8

I posted this comment on Jose's profile because it was about Westwood.  I really know Westwood because I've been around it for 6 years so I had a question;  \

"Hey Jose,

I really liked this post. I've never been to the Claremont area but have friends from high school that ended up going to college there. I had a prior understanding that it was an area engulfed by private schools, and good schools to say the least. You gave a good description of the areas but one thing I wanted to know is what kind of people are walking around. You noticed that people around Westwood are driving fancy cars. My argument would be most of those people don't live in Westwood and are either passing through on Wilshire or are working there.
I loved your comparison of crime rates; it was an interesting fact and something that is very nice to know. Do you think Westwood has a low crime rate because it is a college town? Like do college kids get a good reputation of not stealing other people's things? One other thing as well; in Westwood there are a handful of grimy looking people that look like they are on drugs. These are people that are constantly seen walking the streets; and we don't know if they have a home or what not. Is it justified to think that they have a part to do with the crime rate? My friend would always be afraid walking by them...is that a sign of how we perceive inequality?

Good post though, really informative."

No comments:

Post a Comment