Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A. Week 7

Hey guys,

I went to the beautiful, the majestic, the incomparable Malibu, CA.  Not just the Malibu near the University of Pepperdine, but about 20 minutes North of that.  The final destination was a cool little beach cafe called Paradise Cove.  My girlfriend was in town, and I found it as be a good excuse to see the scenic Pacific Coast Highway in all of its glory.

Being from San Diego, I have been acquainted with the PCH and its relevance to the hora that coastal California maintains.  However, I had never been north of Pepperdine before.  This trip made me think a few things.

I couldn't help thinking about how beautiful this place was and why everything was upper class specified: shops, stores, and most of all houses.  There was even a humungous American Apparel store right on the water that was compiled of large glass windows and had their heavy price tags right in those windows.  I saw a bunch of isolated beaches to where you could only park in either a meter parking or a flat rate parking lot.  I also noticed that there was seemingly only one way in and one way out...the PCH.  I know there are a few ways to get into Malibu, but these are concerns.  There is obviously the north and south entrances that both come from wealthy areas.  But the entrances from the east also come from wealthy places, like Agoura Hills and Calabassas.  You can come from those places or from the infamous Sunset Blvd.

This got me thinking about the Carceral Archipelago concept.  In Malibu's case instead of architecture to restrict public access, they use the geography in the Santa Monica mountains.  They strategically put roads into Malibu from middle-upper class neighborhoods which restricts access from lower class neighborhoods.  In this way, I see difference between places like Malibu and places like Compton (where I initially visited) as completely unnatural.  I feel like it was specifically divided like this and strategically segregated so one economic class wouldn't interfere with the other.

Along with all of this, I got some really good brunch and had a wonderful morning at Paradise Cove in Malibu.


Shwayze- Buzzin a.k.a. Malibu music



No comments:

Post a Comment