Thursday, October 4, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A. Week 1

Hey guys,

Welcome to my blog!  This is the first time I have even considered doing a blog, and I'm happy to say it is about the city where everyone wants to be, Los Angeles.  I'm also excited to tell you I'm doing this blog for Geog. 151-Cities and Social Difference, a course in which I show much interest.  I have been living in Southern California all of my existence, and in Los Angeles for the last 5-6 years, so I am very aware of the operations of a major city.  I have always had a thirst for human interests and cultural geography.  Therefore, it is my pleasure to give you, whomever you may be, a written description of who/what this city is all about.  I feel like in the next 10 weeks you will get a clearer understanding of the landscape and the people who occupy the city of angles.

 In this course, and in this blog, I am going to explore the questions: What difference does difference make?  How does diversity play a role in landscape and cultural cohesion within a city?  Los Angeles is a city with so much cultural, economic, and racial diversity that it is compared to none.  It is what makes this city so great, and what makes us want to explore ways to make it even better.  It's the diversity which gives Los Angeles so much life in the world of arts such as film and music (where it is and always has been ahead of its time).  It is also the diversity of landscape, from the ports of Long Beach to the Eastern Mountains that has allowed Los Angeles to thrive and be a leader in a country that has also been ahead of its time.  Still the question arives: How does a city with such diversity as Los Angeles continue to be productive? And what difference does all the diversity make?

 I am looking forward to exploring the social difference in the L.A. metropolitan region and trying to find answers to these questions.





1 comment: